Monday, September 15, 2003

Things That Make You Go Grrrr...

Would You PLEASE Stop Ripping Me Off!?!

Since the advent of the computer, we’ve tried to call ourselves a “paperless” society. But I don’t see how that is at all. We look around in class and reams of notebook paper are being used daily by students frantically writing down the endless slew of information emanating from the mouths of our professors. Classes now have syllabuses online, but people still print them out anyways. Homework is occasionally online and even notes are too. Blackboard is the epitome of what a paperless society should be. But what I realize is that UIC is using the paperless society concept to get more money from us.

Some professors no longer provide syllabuses, they don’t hand out work to do, and they don’t print out the notes and hand them out to us. We are expected to go find the information online ourselves. True, we’re big college kids and we should be able to handle not having everyone spoon-fed to us, but we’re also dirt poor. We use SO much of our annual quota of printouts just because we’re printing syllabuses, homework, and notes just because UIC doesn’t want to provide academic departments with enough money to provide such things for students. Students have to pay for everything at UIC, regardless of whether or not there is logic behind it. I mean, if this continues, my diploma might be posted on Blackboard when I graduate, and I have to print the damn thing out myself. Thanks, UIC!

WALK FASTER YOU IDIOT!!!

I drive. I like driving. It’s fun to spend some time chilling in my car with nothing but the open road ahead of me. But then of course, I live in Chicago and there is rarely such a thing as open road. There are cars on the road at all times of day, regardless of what day of the week it is. And if there aren’t cars in the way, there are stupid people. People who feel the need to meander across the street as you’re trying to make a turn before the light turns red.

Traffic lights are evil, they almost never give you enough time to make the turn before they turn red and you’re stuck behind it for another eternity. Green means go for cars, there’s no way around it. Run a red light and you risk getting a ticket. Pedestrians jaywalk anyways, I’ve never heard of anyone getting ticketed for jaywalking. They can cross at anytime and any place they feel like. But yet they see fit to cross the street when I need to turn and they like to take their sweet time too. WHY?!? WHY DO YOU HATE ME?!? The least you can do is move a LITTLE faster so I can make the light. Please?

Please Tell Me I Was Never Like That…

They’re everywhere… movie theaters, checkout lines… everywhere I want to be. Who, you ask? Stupid, bratty, snot-nosed little 13-year old kids that are obnoxious and stupid. They’re the ones standing either in front of or behind you blabbering continuously about the newest hot teen idol of the week, “Oh… My… God… ____ is SOOO HOT!” Or they chatter on about some nonsensical video game imported from Japan, “Dude, did you beat the ToyotaNissanSushiMon on the 99th level of Seizure Inducer VI?!?” If not that, they’re talking continuously about the drama at their school, “Billy dumped Jane and Jane hooked up with Billy’s brother who is like… totally in college…” They not only just talk about it, but they are intolerably loud about it, oblivious to the annoyance that they are causing among the people around them. To quote Apu from the Simpsons, “I can’t believe you don’t shut up!”I honestly hope I’m not like that or at least wasn’t like that when I was their age. If I was, I’m surprised no one just smacked me and told me to shut up!

Because I’m sure 4 or 5 years from now, those snot-nosed brats will probably be embarrassed that their idiotic conversations about stupid things were overheard by others. I’m sure I would be! So as a public service to them and to everyone around them, the next time you hear a obnoxious kid jabber on and on about stupid things, just smack him or her. You’ll be doing them and society a favor.

No comments: