Sunday, January 11, 2009

I offer a solution to stupidity....

Before I start going off on my newest tangent, allow me to thank the people that have left comments on my last rant. It is nice to know that I can incite responses out of the people on the interweb. While I was tempted to jump into the conversation, I felt that I made my point already and it is up to you, my tiny handful of readers, to discuss amongst yourselves the validity of my words.

Now... on to this week's topic. I would be failing in my moral obligation as a human being if I didn't try to at least offer up solutions to the problems I see with society. Anyone can get on their soap box to complain about anything and everything... it's actually quite cathartic and fun. But, one needs to do two more things in addition to just point out societal falacies: (1) don't be stupid too and (2) offer up a solution. If everyone just did one little thing everyday to not be stupid, the world would be a better place, there would be one less Tubberina wedged into an airline seat, one less shopping cart in the middle of the parking lot, or one less piece of idiocy hindering the forward progress of humanity. But... today's topic is going to be more broader based than just one relatively inconsequential annoyance, but something more important in the grand scheme of things in the effort to find a solution to the stupidization of our planet. And no, I am not suggesting a "final solution" for stupid people (although the thought has crossed my mind, but I'm not that tacky). The solution is simple: children.

Children? Yes, kids. Specifically your kids. I briefly touched on this topic last week when I mentioned setting a better example for your kids but I think this merits more than just a side mention. I think the general consensus among a lot of old fogeys is that, "Those young whippersnappers! They don't ___ like we used to!" You know it's true. You heard it growing up and I know for a fact you think it everytime you see a specimen of Airheadimus High Schoolerius or if you just happened to turn on the TV to see an episode of MTV's The Real World. What's happened? Were we really this stupid? I refuse to believe that because I see some kids today that are honestly cool and good. They're not shopping at Sluts 'R Us or see people like Paris Hilton as role models. Kids don't want to be doctors or lawyers... they want to be reality TV stars. WTF?

Maybe it's parents wanting their kids to be just like them... which I believe is THE. MOST. RETARDED. THING. you can do to your kid. Parents have it all wrong. You don't want your kids to be just like you because they won't. And even if they are, they'll just be a lesser version of you because you're you and there can't be two of you (unless you get yourself cloned, which I BEG OF YOU NOT TO). Kids should be BETTER than what their parents are not limited to what they're parents are. Unless the child is the genetic spawn of Superman and Wonder Woman, then it'd be rather difficult, but still possible. If that's the goal, to be better than the previous generation, then humanity wouldn't be nearly as messed up. Parents want to isolate their kids from the "evils of society" and germs and vaccinations. NO! You are not an island unto to yourself and neither are your children. They are expected to interact with everyone and unless you want to keep them living in your house for the rest of their lives, they shouldn't be babied. How can we expect people to learn and grow if we limit their interactions to only things our parents approve of? Society is not evil, it's just dumb and annoyingly idiotic and you're not helping. If everyone was as shut in as that, we'd all be inbred people afraid of anyone of a different race, gender, and sexual orientation (oh, that's happening... I know you see it too). And on a side note, if some super strain of Polio or Measles comes back to infect our planet, I hope you health nuts with your anti-bacterial goop die first. Sheesh, I remember daring my friends to eat dirt, worms, and glue when I was a kid... I think they turned out alright... Anyways...

On the opposite end of the spectrum, but still stemming from the babification of youth, you see kids out and about being loud and obnoxious... as if for some strange inexplicable reason we should be compelled to pay attention to them and their "totally like drama like filled like lives!" No. That starts when they're little and they can kick and scream and make a scene to get what they want. The world doesn't work that way and kids needs to know that. What ever happened to a spanking? I'm not talking child abuse, but spanking. You're not beating your child to a pulp, but you're setting an immediate punishment for their idiocy. But... I say we take that one step further. Instead of watching a child act out or hearing stupid conversations from people that have the unfortunate affliction of lack of volume control, we need to step in. No, we shouldn't spank people we think deserve it (wow, that's bad...) but we need to intervene. Not to intervene as to stop a spanking or to judge the parent for the way they are disciplining their child, but to make fun of the child for their actions that led to the public humiliation. Just a simple, "Wow, you're the dumbest kid in this mall," should suffice.

While that can be considered mean, it is utterly necessary. Kids are growing up like divas that should be catered to. That is not the case. Nobody is that special. People can't leave their kids for minutes without them acting out. That is not right. Parents, you need to spank your kids especially in public and everyone else around needs to point and laugh at the kid. The kid will know immediately that their stupid tantrum won't work and the rest of the world thinks he or she is retarded (and not in the good clinical way). We need to set a standard for behavior that resonates. Stupidity is worthy of being publically mocked and derided. Once a child figures that out, they'll know not to be stupid in public. They're going to grow up knowing that their actions affect everyone else and everyone else has the right to make fun of them for it.

Stupity is an inbred characteristic (take that as you will). If humanity has a hope of moving forward to a better place for everyone, then it needs to stop stupid before it happens and it starts with the next generation. Forward progess starts now.

No comments: